The Department of surgery is aiming to achieve the following:
1. To develop the next generation of leaders in surgery by graduating doctors with sound Knowledge of surgery and proper ethical back ground. Who are able to diagnose and manage the basic surgical conditions especially emergencies and medical problem in Iraq, especially in Basrah with emphasis on the poor and the rural sector of the population and connecting medical practice to the community need.
2. Post graduate teaching aimed to provide specialized doctors who can participate in the community health service and to prepare them for medical teaching and research.
3. To make significant advances in scientific advances in scientific Knowledge and clinical practice through research activities aimed to solve surgical problems confined to Basrah and Iraq.
4. To provide out standing quality clinical can that is cost effective and direct health service to the population.
5. Stimulus of long term self education for all staff.