The Department of medicine is aiming to achieve the following:
1. To develop the next generation of leaders in medicine by graduating doctors with sound Knowledge of medicine and proper ethical back ground. Who are able to diagnose and manage the basic medical conditions especially emergencies and medical problem in Iraq.
2. Post graduate teaching aimed to provide specialized doctors who can participate in the community health service and to prepare them for medical teaching and research.
3. To make significant advances in scientific advances in scientific knowledge and clinical practice through research activities aimed to solve medical problems confined to Basrah and Iraq.
4. To provide outstanding quality clinical can that is cost effective and direct health service to the population.
5. Stimulus of long term self education for all staff.