The Department of Pharmacology was established in 1970/1971 to provide a course in pharmacology with the aim of achieving adequate knowledge and competence in pharmacology, which form the basis for rational drug therapy in medical practice. The student by the end of the course should be able to:
1. understand the mechanism of drug action at molecular as well as cellular levels, both desirable and adverse.
2. Understand the principles of pharmacokinetics i.e. drug absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion and be able to apply these principles in therapeutic practice.
3. Recognize that drugs have action at most systems and should be able to group drugs with common pharmacological actions and appreciate that this classification is not absolute.
4. Be able to know or to prototype drugs of clinical importance within each pharmacological group
5. Know the common serious side effects and contraindications of each prototype drug, its interactions and factors modifying drug action.
6. know the general principles of acute drug poisoning and other drug related problems such as addiction and abuse.
The Department uses several methods for instructing the students including lectures, tutorials, and practical demonstration. In the third year 3 lectures, 2 hour practical, and 1 hour tutorial per week will be given.
In the fifth year the department is involved in teaching a 10 hour-lecture course in clinical pharmacology and therapeutics in the second term.
The department also aims at integration with other departments in the college through joint meetings, seminars and examinations.
Heads of The Department
1. Dr. Mortada Zaidy (Indian), PhD, 1967-1972.
2. Dr. Nawzad F. Abdul- Hameed, PhD, 1972-1979.
3. Dr. Hana H. Al-Zuhair. BSc (Pharm.), 1979-1984.
4. Dr. Mohammed HH Al–Hakiem, BSc (Pharm.) PhD, 1984-1985.
5. Dr. Abdullah M. Jawad, MBChB, PhD, DipRCPath, 1985-1989.
6. Dr. Nabeel A. Ali. MBChB, PhD, 1989-1996.
7. Dr. Abdullah M. Jawad. MBChB, PhD, DipRCPath (toxicology),1996 – 2005.
8. Dr. Nabeel A. Ali. MBChB, PhD, 2005.
9. Dr. Jawad H. Ahmed. MBChB, PhD, 2005 and continuing