The history of Department if Medicine dated back to 1970.
Chair, Department of Medicine, ProfessorKhalil I. Mohammed Al Hamdi
Deputy Chair, Department of Medicine, Abdul Ameer A. Abdul hameed
The department occupies now part of the second floor of the college
The teaching staff consists of 28 members who are qualified with highest degree in general medicine, and other medical sub specialties, Dermatology and psychiatry.
The department includes 12 divisions:
- Division of Dermatology
- Division of Cardiology
- Division of Gateroenterology
- Division of Pulmonary Medicine
- Division of Endocrine and Diabetes
- Division of Nephrology
- Division of Neurology
- Division of Infectious disease
- Division of Psychiatry
- Division of Hematology , Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplantation
- Division of Nuclear Medicine
- Division of Emergency Medicine
The teaching staff of the Department is sharing in the teaching program by giving lectures, and training of medical students in general medicine, Dermatology and Psychiatry.
The department is also responsible for the training of post graduate students of the Iraqi and Arabic board in General medicine, Dermatology and Psychiatry. The graduated student in Iraqi Board in Medicine was 51, Arabic Board in Medicine was 24, Iraqi board in Dermatology 19 , Iraqi board psychiatry 2,and diploma in dermatology was 9 until the end of 2012.
Chairs of the Department of Medicine
- Professor Mustafa Rijab Al-Nema 1970-1973
- Professor Farook Habeeb Shena 1973- 1979
- Professor Faeak Al-Alosey 1979-1981
- Professor Mohammed Ab-Ruthea Al-Dbagh 1981-1984
- Professor Mustafa Rijab Al-Nema 1985-1988
- Professor Sarkis Krikor Strak 1988-2003
- Professor Abdul Raheem H. Dawoud AL- Humrani 2003-2007
- Professor Ali Raheem Al-Jabery 2007-2011
Professor Khalil I. Mohammed Al Hamdi 2011-till now