There are 11 scientific departments share together in the achievement of the college goals in the context of its message. These departments are supported by a network of laboratories and units
1. Participation in the development and maintenance of health through medical education, research and different types of health services; promotive, preventive, curative and rehabilitative.
2. Graduation of doctors that have the knowledge, attitude and skills, which enable them to practice medicine safely through the implementation of humanitarian and ethical principles.
3. The development and advancement of postgraduate studies to train doctors and other medical professionals in various specialties. This requires the establishment of postgraduate studies in different fields whenever possible including the doctoral degree
4.Support the college as a scientific research center and advancing its role in the applied health research and making better utilization of research results especially in collaboration with various benefited groups.
5. Providing direct health service to the population by the medical staff of the college through the government health establishments and the private sectors.
6. Enforcement of cooperation links with the scientific and medical establishments both inside and outside Iraq for the advancement of medical practice as art, science and behavior.
7. Attempting to solve local health problems, usually by conducting scientific research and studies jointly with other medical institutions.
8. The collaboration with other centers and faculties in Basrah University to support the scientific advancement of the university and to support its role in the region and the world at large.